How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4960
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was on invalidity benefit before it was changed to incapacity

This answer was rated:

I was on invalidity benefit before it was changed to incapacity which is now esa. As there has been no break in my claim why am l having to pay tax on it
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, nd pleased to be able to help you with your question. Your esa is only tax free if it is income related esa. Otherwise it is taxable. However you should ask your tax office to issue a tax coding against the benefit to enable you to take advantage of your personal allowance instead of having to wait until the end of the year and claim it back when you self assess. Job Seekers Allowance is also taxable, but you have to adjust at the end of the year or when you come off the allowance so, unfortunately, you may find that with esa you are in the same boat. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Here is a link for a guide to taxable and non taxable benefits:
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.