How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4971
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Can I get a tax refund on my 49970 ord share holding. My company

This answer was rated:

Can I get a tax refund on my 49970 ord share holding. My company ceased trading in Dec 2006. Is it too late to claim?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Unfortunately your claim is out of time. A loss is not an allowable loss unless it is notified to HMRC (statutory authority: s.16(2A) TCGA 1992), and the time limit for that notification is 5 years from the filing deadline for the return for the year in which the loss arises (s.43(1) TMA 1970). You could always see if HMRC are prepared to accept such a belated claim, but I personally wouldn't bet on it!

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I might try to claim. Can you tell me how to action.

Is there a std form HMRC Number or do I write to them and where would I send.



There is no standard form, you merely write a letter to your tax office. Always quote your NI number and, if you have it, your UTR number too.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.



bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.