How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14190
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My place of employment is 250 miles from my home (although

This answer was rated:

My place of employment is 250 miles from my home (although I do work from home 1 or 2 days per week) and my company currently pay for my private mileage which I am taxed on. I however pay for my own hotel expenses during the week while staying away from home
1) Could I viably change my place of employment to my home and then claim mileage on the journey to and from the office - This would allow me to stop claiming private mileage and therefore save on personal tax
2) Is there any tax saving I can make as I pay for my own accomodation
Thank you
Thanks for your questions
1) You cannot choose to change your employment base from home, but your employer can IF there is no office for which you could report to.
2) This has been permitted from the start of your employment contact
But this is the criteria that HMRC advise on
You may be able to get tax back for some of the bills you have to pay because you have to work at home on a regular basis.
You can only claim for things to do with your work, eg business telephone calls or the extra cost of gas and electricity for your work area.
You can’t claim for things that you use for both private and business use, eg rent or broadband access.
You don’t need to provide records for claims of up to £4 per week (£18 per month). For claims over £4 per week you’ll need to provide evidence of what you’ve spent.
If you work at home voluntarily
If you’ve agreed with your employer to work at home voluntarily - under a ‘homeworking arrangement’ - they may still contribute towards your expenses but don’t have to.
If your employer contributes up to £4 per week (£18 per month) towards your expenses, you won’t need to provide receipts.
If your employer contributes more than £4 per week you will need to be able to show what you’ve spent to get tax relief.
You won’t have to pay tax or National Insurance contributions on the amount you get from your employer.
If you work at home voluntarily and your employer doesn’t contribute to your expenses, you can’t claim tax relief for what you’ve spent.
You then ask regarding your own accommodation - I am afraid as your attendance at this particular location is deemed to be your normal place of work, this cannot fall into being considered a business expense - so you cannot claim anything back for this either.
Only if your employer relocated you might there have been scope for a set period to claim relocation/out of picket expenses - but it would seem when you took this job you knew it was far afield or this has been the location for some time, but do advise further if this is NOT the cae.
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you