How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4763
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

HiI have made a claim to the FSCS regarding a pension investment

Customer Question

I have made a claim to the FSCS regarding a pension investment (SIPP) which has be declared "in default". My investment was £50,000 pounds. I have received compensation of £50,000 which is very good, the letter received states tax maybe payable on some or all of the compensation. Can you please clarify as I thought the compensation would be tax free.
Thank you
Ian Hart
07836 279915
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ian, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question. I can see why you were warned; to avoid any possibility of taxation the 50K should be put into another private pension scheme. That will protect it from tax. The alternative is that HMRC will, quite understandably, regard the compensation as your withdrawing your pension pot as you are now entitled to do. In that case 25% will be tax free, the balance taxable at your marginal rate which might put you into a higher tax bracket. I do hope that I have shed some light on your position.