How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have been renting a house out since January 2014 and havent

This answer was rated:

I have been renting a house out since January 2014 and havent declared tax,but wish to.will I incur a fine for leaving it so long
HelloIf you contact HMRC first, they may consider your case more favourably. If you don’t, you could be charged a penalty. If you have a good and reasonable reason, the penalty (£100) can be waived.You can register for Self Assessment to declare any income you haven’t paid tax on from the last 4 years. If you already file Self Assessment then make a correction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I receive £500 per month on the rental, wot roughly would I have to pay in tax.

If all was income and you had no expenses ot claim for the rental that would be below your tax allowance amount.Depending on your total income, after your allowance for the year is applied then your income that falls into the bands would be 20% or 40% tax.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You mentioned there could be a £ 100 fine,I must admit I have been meaning to pay my due tax,and have no excuses.wot do you think I could say to hmrc to try and waiver any fine I may incur

I understand.If you did not know that you had to report the rental or you knew and were just unable to pay, then state your position simply and honestly.refer back to your past compliance (assuming this is the first time you have allowed your tax to get in this situation).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am employed and earn around £27000 a year , before tax,and im earning £500 off my rental that I own with no mortgage, wot rate of tax would I have to pay , Thankyou

As you are employed your tax is paid on that amount already. As you are a basic rate taxpayer, you will pay 20% income tax on your rental profits.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So basically out of £500 a month rent I would have to roughly pay £100 tax as I own the property with no mortgage?

You would need to look at the total profit form the rental. £500 a month is £6000 at 20% which is £1200.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you