How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

We are a charitable trust and company limited by guarantee.

We are looking for advice... Show More
We are looking for advice on applying for VAT exemption on a New Building.
Can you put us onto someone who has had experience in this field? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Show Less
Ask Your Own Tax Question
replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If the new building is residential accommodation then its construction is zero rated anyway. Here is the Gov UK advice on charitable exemption from VAT: This extract is of particular importance [it is written from a builders' viewpoint]: 'Charities are legally required to give you an eligibility certificate when you supply eligible building or construction services to them at zero VAT. The certificate must contain specific information.' You will find these conditions at paragraph 18 of VAT Notice 708. I do hope my advice has helped point you in the right direction.