How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am retired, aged 68 and in receipt of a works pension of

This answer was rated:

I am retired, aged 68 and in receipt of a works pension of £1,300 per month, plus the state pension of £520. I also have savings , including my property, of say £430K. My wife , aged 72, is in receipt of her state pension of £50 per month, which is very small as she does not have enough nat ins contributions. Before our recent marriage, she got pension credit of about £90 per week which stopped on our marriage. She has lost therefore about £360 per month. I believe we can claim about £200 re marriage couples allowance. It seems, that because we got married, we have lost a lot of potential income. Is there anything we can claim for ?. Thank you for your help.
Hi. I'm afraid that, apart from the marriage allowance which you can read about here, there is really nothing you can claim for. Unfortunately, many benefits including the pension credit are based on joint income levels as you can read here. You might consider putting some of your cash savings into accounts in your wife's name only so that any interest will not suffer tax at all. I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you