How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I'm trying to help my 19 year old son fill in his tax return

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to help my 19 year old son fill in his tax return he as a sa100 form and a sa103s form this is the situation
He got a utr number issued so he could do some work from 1st June 2014 until 18th September 2014 this was his only income for that tax yeah he earn £1,800 and got stopped 20% tax of £360 using his utr number
His paid £38.50 class2 NI a bill received for the period dates above, he has informed the tax office that he is on long using his utr number
We just simply need to know how he fills in his sa103s
His just a young lad that did some work during the dates I've indicated if did no other work in tax year 2014/15 and didn't claim any job seekers allowance or any other benefits
Could you please advise what we need to submit
Hello, I am Keith, one of the esperts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Always remember the golden rule in completing self assessment forms; you only have to fill in the relevant boxes, leave the rest blank. It makes a daunting form much easier. The SA103S is in respect of self employment; has he the correct from as you say tax was being deducted? Your son will need a SA102 for each employer for whom he has worked in the tax year. Each 102 is completed for the pay received and tax deducted. So he will need to complete SA100, SA102 (one for each employer) and if he ded any self employment work, a SA 103S, If he did do self employment worj he should also have registered with HMRC for self employment. On completion and submission of these forms HMRC will calculate his tax and NI liabilities and there is a refund due will process that too automatically. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my son registered for self employment I just simply need know where on sa103s form do we put his earning of £1, 800 and his deductions of £360 he had no expenses, just a young lad that did some work during the dates I gave you
Were just not sure where or how to enter this on sa103s form can you please advise
The income goes in box 9 and as he had no expenses again in box 21. The SA103S has no provision for deduction of tax unless he was being paid under CIS in which case it goes in box 38.
If CIS did not apply then you are in a cleft stick and would have to put the tax deducted in the notes box 19 on the SA100. Not very satisfactory, I appreciate and guaranteed for HMRC to miss it and not make a refund in which case he will have to appeal to get his money back. Don't blame me, I didn't design these forms!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my son has a receipt from the guy if did labour work for its says on it cis deduction on it and shows the amount
So does my son only have to fill in box 9 & 21 with the same figure and then enter his deductions in box 38
Could I also ask in box 1 description of business do we just put self employed
Say 'Sub contracting under CIS.' He should get his refund, no problem.
The CIS scheme was introduced as an attempt to combat tax evasion which was rife in the construction industry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's all very confusing isn't it and this just a simply tax thing compared to some I would imagine, we were going to go into local tax office and try and get some help but it's closed down
Think we understand now but not absolutely sure, think it's because we're also trying to deal with the death of my mother his nan that this tax stuff is just stressing us out, thanks for your help think were still just a little nervous of doing something wrong on tax form and creating another problem, but we'll give it a go they can't shoot us can they
No, it's not quite come to that yet. When you have heard, as I have, an Inspector of Taxes demanding immediate settlement in cash of tax which was not even due you begin to wonder.
The last time I saw a probate done it was by a lay colleague and the form seemed relatively easy. Remember that to hit Inheritance Tax (IHT) the estate must exceed 325K ans any charitable and inter spousal bequests inflate the 325K. IHT is levied at a flat rate of 40% (36% if 10% or over of the bequests are charitable).
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.