How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4799
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have old company pensions that I have been taking since 2005.

This answer was rated:

I have old company pensions that I have been taking since 2005. I still work and pay tax and national insurance stamp.
on checking my tax P800 form I have found out that not only do I pay tax on my pensions at source, but these are then added to the wage I get from working and are taxed again.
Is this right?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. It does not sound right, but the P800 is a most convoluted document. Are you quite sure you are being taxed correctly? Remember for tax purposes your gross emoluments from all sources are aggregated to obtain the overall income to be taxed. To check take your P60s, add up all income and sub total. Then calculate the tax due after deducting personal allowance, private pension contributions etc. If this comes out the same as the P800 then it is just that complex form, but you are quite correct in checking it. I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.