How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I bought my fathers house from the local authority so that

This answer was rated:

I bought my fathers house from the local authority so that he could carry on living there until he dies.
He has lived there since 1960 and I bought the property in 1997.
My father is still living there and will do until he passes away. He pays no rent so the property has created no income since 1997 until now.
Can I obtain relief from capital gains tax when it is eventually sold. It was my family home from 1960 until 1974.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer. and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Bad news I am afraid, the key date to this is 6 April 1988. If you bought before this date and the house was occupied by a dependent relative you would have escaped Capital Gains tax (CGT) on the gain on sale. Unfortunately, you did not so you are liable to CGT on any gain made from the purchase cost net to the net selling price. This will be levied at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the year of sale. The gain will be adjusted by the period it was your sole or main domestic residence so only a proportion would fall to CGT. If you had given the house to him you would be in a better position as once the seven year rule on gifts had passed then the CGT liability would have been extinguished. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.