How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4964
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My husband and I have come to live in the UK 6 months

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have come to live in the UK for approx 6 months we are residents in Jersey CI .We are presently living with our daughter but are moving to rented accommodation later this week.We plan to have 2 holidays while we are here as well.Will we be liable to pay UK income tax although we are already paying this in Jersey.We are both retired so our only income is state and personal pensions.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you spend more than 183 days, not consecutive, in the UK in any one tax year, then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. However, the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the States of Jersey precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions although it does not protect you from differences in rates of tax. Relief through the treaty is given by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a credit against the liability in the other. You are very close to the 183 day limit with a six month stay, so a bit of planning will be needed here. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.