How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a Portuguese illustrator living and working from

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a Portuguese illustrator living and working from Portugal and I am going to be paid 150GBP by a UK publisher for making one illustration for them. Am I subject to UK taxation and/or do I need to claim double tax relief? Thank you.
Thank you for your question.If you are working from Portugal and invoice your customer in the UK for work done, he should be able to pay your business a gross payment without deduction of tax. You would declare that income to the tax authorities in your country and pay local taxes. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. But even so, isn't there the need to invoke the UK-PT double taxation agreement (article 14) so that what you described can happen? In the case of royalties, I think there is the need to claim double taxation relief to HMRC. Why the difference in treatment?
Thank you for your reply.Payment for personal services or other independent activities are dealt with differently from payment of royalties as far as deduction of tax at source is concerned.Income derived from professional services rendered in Portugal shall be taxable only in that state unless you have a base in the UK to render those activities. This is covered here Tax treatment of payment of royalties is covered here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.
Best wishes.