How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am thinking about putting a home made craft item on

Customer Question

Hello. I am thinking about putting a home made craft item on for sale on a web site. Will I have to pay tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. Can you advise whether this is a one off item that you will sell or whether you will or have sold other items (either online or other ways) that you have made.Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I will be selling these regularly; I have 100 to put on the web store right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Selling them at £17.99
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sold some last Christmas on the online web store. I will not be selling any other than the internet
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Then you will need to register as self employed with HMRC - and if your self employed net income (and all other income) exceeds more than £10,600 for the year - then you will have tax to pay.
And if more than £5965 self employment (net) then Class 2 National Insurance and also Class 4 if more than £8060
But even if less than £10,600 (and less than the National Insurance limits) then you still will need to register, so that HMRC are aware of how much you have earned.
Link here to register (as a sole trader)
Let me know if I can assist any further