How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Whether below client has to register ? Information: Nature

Customer Question

Whether below client has to register for VAT?
Nature of business:
It supplies nurses ( administers medicine and other nursing duties directly to care home residents) and carers (provide personal care of residents and other caring jobs directly to residents) for homes (Nursing and Residential) on temporary basis to work for day shift (8 to 20 pm) or night shift (20 pm to 8 am).
e.g. Sunrise home requests Premium staff to supply a carer to cover the night shift for tomorrow. Premium contacts self-employed carers; companies which supplies carer; or his few employees to discover who is available to cover the above shift and supplies whoever is available.
Carers whom Premium has sent works under Lead carer (Generally employee of Sunrise Home)
Nurses on night shift does not have supervisor to supervise his work. However, on day shift, he might work under another Nurse.
Hence, same carer and nurse are mostly sent to 11 clients (different care homes) with whom Premium staff has contract with.
Nurses are registered with the mid wifery council. All workers work in homes registered with CQC therefore the homes follow the guidelines issued by CQC.
Most of our clients are not vatable except about 5 clients.
Are carers registered with any organization?
The carers are not required by law to register with any professional organization. However they are also registered with other care agencies they work for.
The business itself is not required by law to be registered with such organizations CQC
Who provides training like moving and handling to staffs you supply to care homes?
We employ carers and nurses who are already adequately trained by their permanent employers.
Who does DBS for staffs you supply to care homes?
We do the DBS checks through an umbrella company.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Services provided by certain registered professionals are either exempt or zero rated. VAT Notice 701/57 covers this matter. The registered professionals comprise: 'medical practitionersoptometrists and dispensing opticiansprofessionals registered under the Health Professions Order 2001 - these professionals are, arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists/podiatrists, clinical scientists, dieticians, hearing aid dispensers, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, practitioner psychologists, prosthetists and orthotists, radiographers, and speech and language therapists, but will also include any medical care professionals added to the Order at a future dateosteopathschiropractorsnurses, midwives and health visitorsdentists, dental hygienists, dental therapists, dental nurses, clinical dental technicians, dental technicians and orthodontic therapistspharmacists' Where your support staff provision come within the definition quoted then their supply is exempt from VAT. For those outside the definition of 'Registered health Professionals' then their supply id standard rated and VAT at 20% should be invoiced. Only standard, reduced or zero rate supplies are aggregated to test the VAT turnover threshold of 82K. Exempt supplies are not included, so depending upon the level of standard supplies, VAT registration may not be necessary. I do hope that I have shed some light on the position for you.