How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am going to live abroad permanently i will be getting

This answer was rated:

hi i am going to live abroad permanently i will be getting a private pension of £17000 ayear . do i nave to pay tax or any n.i. on this ,thanks
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You do not have to pay any NI on your private pension income, but you do have to pay Income Tax. Pensions are usually taxed in the country of origin and through Double Taxation Treaties, of which there are hundreds, any tax deducted in one country is allowed as a tax credit against liabilities in another so the same income stream does not get taxed in both jurisdictions. These Treaties do not, however, protect you from differences in tax rates. Make sure that the correct tax code is being applied to your pension so you do not loose your personal allowance, currently 10.6K, or have to claim it back at the end of each tax year. When you leave the UK don't forget to submit a Form P85 to HMRC. On receipt HMRC will class you as non resident for the tax year following your leaving date and furthermore split your leaving year into two portions, one resident and the other non resident. I do hope that my reply has been useful and shown you the way forward.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks
Thank you for your support.