How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6326
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife lost an Incapacity Benefit she had been receiving for

Customer Question

My wife lost an Incapacity Benefit she had been receiving for more than 20 years, two years ago.
As she was 58 at the time she was not able to get a job and has relied solely on my income since then.
It has been rumoured that I can get some sort of additional tax relief for supporting her. I am an higher rate tax payer who is 60 years old
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Your spouse can transfer up to GBP 1060 of her personal allowance to you. This will reduce your higher rate tax bill by some 35 odd quid a month. She can read all about it and apply here: 'Disability Rights UK have more information on their web site. Here is their advice concerning Council Tax: '4. The Disability Reduction scheme You can get a reduction on your bill if you or someone in your home is‘substantially and permanently disabled’ and one of the following applies. You (or they):have a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is used to meet your needs e.g. for the purposes of dialysis, treatment or for the storage of equipment;have a second bathroom or kitchen used to meet your needs; orhave enough space in your home to use a wheelchair indoors.If any of these apply, the bill for your dwelling is reduced to the next lowest band. If you are already in a Band A property, you will have your bill reduced by one sixth.Disability reductions are available in all types of dwellings, including care homes and hostels.In Scotland, the council water charge can also be reduced under this scheme.Contact your local authority to apply for a disability reduction. If you should have been given a disability reduction in the past, but were not, it should be backdated. Backdating may be limited to six years.' I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.