How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I need some assistance with my uk tax - i am filling out

This answer was rated:

Hi I need some assistance with my uk tax - i am filling out a self assessment form for the first time and have just seen this form a need to fill out to register for tax - i live in Egypt and have a UK property - i filled out 2 forms some months ago on
advice on here one a p85 and the other in order that i could pay tax myself on my property also on advice of the advisor i included a letter stating i had started on-line employment. do i need to register for self assessment using this form? i am concerned
as i have missed the deadlione of the 5th of October and of course need to submit the rest of the forms by the 31st of October - i leave the country on the 28th of october - can i register and then send the papers forms before hearing back from them? i understand
again that i cannot fill out the residency and remittance form on line however i have found some computer software packages i can buy which seems to make this possible (applying on line as a non resident with a deadline of the 31st of January. i wonder if
this is the best course of action under the circumstances? help and advice much appreciated - i have all the paper forms ready - property residence and remittance self employment and the self assessment one itself to send in many thanks Lucy
Hello Lucy, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The Form P85 is used to notify HMRC that you have left the UK to live in your case in Egypt. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident for the tac year following your date of departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident, the other non resident. This form can be filed on line. You are, however, still liable to UK taxation on your rental income only post departure and must self assess for that. You need an SA100 and the supplementary page SA105. If you are an EEA citizen you are entitled to the usual personal allowance of 10.6K to offset this income. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
many thanks for your response
yes sorry if my question was confusing! i have all that information my question was on the form you fill out pre 5th of October to register for self assessment i think it is cdw0 or something. i have not filled that in
do i need to?- will this cause problems when i send my paper next week?
is there a way round this such as purchasing software that means i can also fill out the residence remittance form on line so therefore not submit my tax return till end of Jan 2016Lucy
thanks for your help
You can register for self assessment on line Lucy. Here is the link:
You don't get penalised if you file and pay by the due date. 31 January 2016.
Why do you need a remittance form? It is not required, just a SA100 and the SA105.
You may find that your personal allowance reduces you liability to nil.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi bigduckok so i am a bit confused as i have been advised on this site i need to fill out
the sa100 the SA105 the SA109 as i was not resident in the uk for the 2014/2015 tax year and i have an online job which started on the 11/18/2014. I do this job entirely from Egypt but my money comes from the UK and an SA103 for the self employment
i also understood that the sa109 i cannot fill out on line so i would need to submit paper forms by the 31st of October deadline
could you correct me if i am wrong
with best wishes
Frankly, I don't think you need to worry about the SA109, it will unduly complicate matters. You could print one off and send it, but quite frankly it won't alter the price of cheese as my old boss was wont to say. If your remuneration from the UK is self employment and you do all the work in Egypt it is not taxable in the UK, only your UK property income is taxable and my original answer, the SA 100 and the SA105 stands. Presumably you have taken P85 action.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks Keith
so i don't need to fill out the self employment one either the sa103? I earned under 1000 for the employment i did that tax year anyway so shouldn't need to pay tax and i think i just slipped in under the less than 3 months in the countrywhen you say take p85 action do you mean fill out that form? yes i did i did receive a letter from them saying they were happy for me to pay tax direct for my property rather than my tenant paying it - by the way i pay all my bills inclusive in my flat and they remain in my name so council tax gas etcso you think declare my property and the main self assessment form but not my self employment?this would also mean that i can fill the forms in on line by the end of Jan yes? rather than sending paper forms by the end of Octoberhowever i have registered for self assessment and said i am self employed so will they not expect to see the sa103? would they think i was withholding information from them? i used my flat address as my care of address and stated i do not have an address in Egpyt i live in a village with no street namesmy profit falls under the personal allowance threshold so actually i hopefully won't pay any tax at allit would be great news if all i have to fill out is 2 forms online and not until end of Jan 2016!with best wishesLucy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
by the way as an aside i never heard anything back from them regarding the p85 form i sent them i did get a response from my nrl form though
So you are now non resident for UK tax purposes. That only leaves the rental income taxable. Normally an ex pat would use a letting agent who would also account to HMRC for the tax due. As you are not then you must fall back on the SA100 and the SA105. Your self employment is irrelevant as far as the UK is concerned as you are a non resident. Once HMRC accept that with your personal allowance there is no tax due they may well tell you that you need not self assess for future years. Even HMRC do not wish to process tax returns which yield no revenue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK super thankslast questions i promise! if you want me to start a new question thread please just say!can i therefor fill out both of those forms on line by the end of Jan deadline?is it relevant that they didn't acknowledge receipt of my p85 or is this normal behaviour (i am concerned they didn't get it!) i assume also it wont make a difference that i declared myself as self employed? would it be perhaps advisable to submit the forms as paper forms by 31st of October with a covering letter saying i have had no acknowledgement of my p85 which was submitted in March 2015 or i am just being over cautious?with best wishes!
I suggest that a paper submission with a letter would be adviseable. The P85 is actually processed by a different office to your tax office which may explain the delay. It is always a good idea to follow up just in case. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site, Lucy. Regards, Keith
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
many thanks for your time Keith!
Thank you for your support.