How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4960
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am German and have lived in the Uk years. I am working

This answer was rated:

i am German and have lived in the Uk for 25 years. I am working for a Uk company (PAYE) and live part in the UK and partly in Germany (where i have just registered witht he local council). will i be double-taxed on my income and do i need to pay health insurance in germany (krankenversicherung) or is the NHS European Health card my cover? thanks.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your question. As you are employed by am UK company and remunerated through PAYE then this is the correct procedure. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year (6 April to 5 April) then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. There is a Double Taxation Convention between the UK and Germany which precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. The Convention does not, however, protect you from differences in rates of tax. There is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Germany regarding health cover. Don't forget to carry your European Health Insurance Card when you go to Germany. There is no requirement for you to pay krankenversicherung. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you very much for this.

would the above information change if i spend less that the 183 days in the UK?

also, as i have a german passport, would the reciprical arrangement re health insurance still apply to me? when i registered, my passport was adjusted to state: Berlin as my place of residence despite me telling them about my arrangements.

thank you in advance.

As you are being paid under PAYE by an UK company the situation will not change. If you are effectively moving to Germany then you should submit a Form P85 to HMRC. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident for the tax year after your date of departure and also split the leaving year into two parts, one resident and one non resident. Once non resident you may spend up to 91 days in the UK in any one tax year without risking your non resident status. HMRC will adjust your tax code number. This will put you under the German tax regime.

The reciprocal health agreement would still apply, but maybe in reverse if you fully reside in Germany! Which ever way the cat jumps you will be covered.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.