How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If my elderly mother moves into a small granny flat which is

This answer was rated:

If my elderly mother moves into a small granny flat which is part of our house and contributes to the running of the property etc ... Do we have to pay tax on the contribution?
Hello Chris, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Your Mother is occupying a room I would submit be under the Rent a Room scheme. Fees paid for such accommodation are taxable, but only if they exceed BGP 4250 pa [7500 from 16/17 tax year]. Below these levels there is no requirement to declare Rent a Room Scheme income. I do hope my reply has set your mind at rest.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith, that's great thanks. Not sure if I have signed up to a monthly contribution? Which I do not require .
Delighted to have been of assistance Chris. It's always a good idea to have a formal agreement, you can buy one at any competent stationers, just in case of future difficulties and these can occur in the best of families!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do Keith thanks. I am concerned that I may be paying AskanExpert £36 a month this iPad is a new experience and I may of clicked on the wrong box !,,!,
You will have to check up with Just Answer Administration if you have accidentally set up a monthly payment plan which you don't need. They will sort it out for you to just leave the payment for just this question.