How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I'm semi retired. My income comes from pensions, plus a

Customer Question

hi. I'm semi retired. My income comes from pensions, plus a property I rent out and also wages from teaching. I teach as a sessional tutor with the local authority and they deduct tax and pay a bit of holiday pay. I am on the pay-roll, teaching only 4 hours per week plus meetings. I'm told my pay covers teaching time plus planning time.
I work from home, so have an office at home for my teaching work. I can claim against my employer for printer cartridges/ stationary etc but not office-associated costs/ mobile phone contract (essential) or landline contract (essential).heat and light. If I were 'self-employed' then I could claim for these expenses.
Can I be 'self-employed' with one employer who deals with my tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloYou can be both employed and self-employed at the same time, eg if you work for an employer during the day and run your own business in the evenings.A person may be an employee in employment law but have a different status for tax purposes. Employers must work out each worker’s status in both employment law and tax law.Self-employed workers aren’t paid through PAYE, and they don’t have the employment rights and responsibilities of employees.Because you are an employee you cannot claim self employed status for this same position unfortunately.