How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have had to replace the rotten wood structure of my conservatory

This answer was rated:

I have had to replace the rotten wood structure of my conservatory with new upvc frames
and doors. The roof also had to be rebuilt. Total costs circa £14,000 this year.
can I set this against income tax paid over the last few years ?
My wife and are OAP's, on pensions .
Hi. Assuming the property that you had the work carried out on is your home, I'm afraid that you cannot offset the costs against your income tax paid in the current tax year or earlier tax years. You can add the cost of the new roof to the purchase price of the property for Capital Gains Tax purposes. If the property is let, then you could offset the conservatory costs against rental income. I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you