How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I wonder if you can help me. I am buying a property

This answer was rated:

I wonder if you can help me.
I am buying a property so that my mother can live in it.
I also currently own a property with my boyfriend where we both live. We are also in the process of selling that property as we are going to rent for a while so that we can decide where to next live.
Will I need to pay Capital Gains if I sell my current property with my boyfriend as I am buying another property for my mother?
Many thanks
Hi. When there is a change in your combination of homes which might qualify for main residence relief, you have two years to make an election for one of the properties to be treated as your main home for CGT purposes but you do have to have spent time in both. You don't have to make such an election and so long as you sell your current home within 18 months of moving out there can be no CGT to pay provided it has been your main home from the time you bought it until you sold it or moved out, selling it within 18 months. Take a look at HS283 for more information on the main residence and CGT. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you that is very helpful


I'd be grateful if you'd rate my answer before you leave the site. Thanks again.