How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I do respite care with a special needs child

This answer was rated:

Hi. I do respite care with a special needs child for about five hours a week. I am paid via cheque by the child's foster mother. No deductions have been made and I am not given a payslip. Do I file a tax return and just put the child's foster mother in my employer and will the inland revenue then send me a bill for any tax and national insurance I owe?

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

I would suggest that you are self employed. You should register with HMRC [the Inland Revenue was merged with HM Customs and Excise some years ago] as self employed. Here is the link:

You should have done this by 5 October, but I don't think you need to worry overmuch on that score. Once registered HMRC will the send you self assessment tax returns annually for completion. For 14/15 you have until 31 October to file on paper using Forms SA100 and SA103S available on line. Otherwise you will have to file on line. On receipt HMRC will tell you how much Income Tax and National Insurance you owe which must be paid by 31 January 2016. If you are an EEA citizen you have a personal allowance of 10.6K to offset your income.

If you are self employed you do not need to quote an employer as you do not have one!

I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also have a regular job in which I am employed by a school. Do I still fill out a return as self-employed?

Presumably the school pay you under PAYE arrangements. You will have to complete a SA102 for your PAYE job in addition to the forms I mentioned. It is quite possible that HMRC will collect the tax on your self employment by reducing your tax code number which makes like simpler.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.