How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now


This answer was rated:

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to ba able to help you with your question. Could you be so kind as to expand on your query. At the moment I have nothing to go on!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith, please see Question below;

My step mum purchased a flat in 2010 for £165,000 , rented it out until April 2015.

It has been empty since then ( although she did spend some time there ) She is 62 a widow and had not worked. She plans to sell it in Feb 2016 for £220,000.

What would her CGT liability be?

When would it need to be paid?

Is it something that gets done by the solicitor at the time of sale?

Many thanks
No, Joseph it isn't done by the solicitor! Your step mum will have to declare it on her 15/16 self assessment tax return and pay the sum due by 31 January 2017.
Her capital gain is 220K - 165K = 55K. She has an Annual Exempt Amount of 11.1K to offset this leaving 43.9K exposed to CGT. As she lived in it she would be only liable proportionately, however for the last 18 months she is deemed to occupy even if this is not the case. She owned for say 72 months so knock off the last 18 leaves 54 so 54 / 72 say three quarters of the gain is taxable; that's 32.9K. As she lived in it she is entitled to Lettings Relief (LR) up to 40K depending upon the rentals received over the period so she might well escape liability altogether.
CGT is levied at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on her income including the gain in the year of sale.
I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith,

Is there any chance you could do a broad calculation?

The rental income was £10,000 pa.

Kind regards


Rentals exceed 40K, Joe, so full LR of 40K would eliminate any gain from CGT. The taxman goes away empty handed.

Simple, as the Meerkat on the TV advert would say!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Keith, good work!



Delighted to have been of assistance, Joe. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.