How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

We are renovating a building that has been used for

This answer was rated:

Hello. We are renovating a building that has been used for non-residential purposes (i.e. has been used as an office) for over 30 years. It was completely unoccupied for 2.5 years before we started renovating it. Can you advise if we can claim any VAT back under the HMRC conversion and renovation scheme (we are private individuals purchasing most of the materials ourselves although have used a builder for some of the work who has charged VAT at 5%) - and if so where we can get that information from?
Thank you.
***** *****
Hi. Take a look at the notes under the VAT reclaim form here. From the brief information you have given me, you may be able to claim a refund of the VAT for the conversion of a commercial premises into residential accommodation but you should read the notes and the questions on the form carefully. Many claims fail due to small mistakes. If you think you can make a claim, keep all the receipts and invoices as HMRC will want to see these. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you