How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14153
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I moved in with a girlfriend in November 2014, and have moved

This answer was rated:

I moved in with a girlfriend in November 2014, and have moved out in October 2015.
Although she canceled her tax credits she did not cancel receiving child benefit. Her 2 children live with her half the week and their father the rest of the week (He like me is a higher rate of tax earner - over 50k).
I've received a tax bill saying the following:
The High Income Child Benefit Charge started on 7 January 2013. For the tax year ended April 2015, you have to pay this tax charge if:
You had an individual income over 50k.
So they have billed me for £1,770.60.
My question is - can I get out of this?
Thanks for your question
I am afraid perhaps only for some
As you did not move in until November 2014 then this is one element of the appeal you should make.
Also the fact that they stay with their Dad part of the week, you should raise, however unless this is reflected in the tax credit claim position then this will have no impact on your position.
If you were the higher income earner, and this was in excess of £50,000 then I am afraid the charge sits with you (and note you also have to consider the period from April 2015 to October 2015)
HMRC state that the charge is established as follows
The tax charge applies from the date you move in together to either the date you permanently separate or the Child Benefit stops - eg because the child is too old to qualify for it.
So you defiantly have an appeal on the part year position - and this will allow them to time apportion the 1% consideration of the child benefit for every £100 you are over and above the £50,000 threshold for just the months you lived there.
I am sorry there is no way to reduce this completely as I imagine its a tough enough time anyway.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Sam, I thought that might be the case, and I'll certainly try appealing against this.

Hi Julian
You are very welcome - I only wish I| could offer a way to wipe it all out
Other than seeking legal representation to ask her to compensate you for half of any remaining bill - but this may just add more difficulties to an already tough time, and of course the legal costs my be equal to to amount you might seek from her- but maybe a small claims court) but this is a suggestion rather than expert advsie!
Do let me know if I can assist further, but it would be very much appreciated if you could rate (or click accept) to reflect the service you feel I have provided you with today.
Thanks and hope you have a good weekend