How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

If a foreign national (non-UK resident) gifts a property to

This answer was rated:

If a foreign national (non-UK resident) gifts a property to a son or daughter who is a UK resident, and the property is located in the UK, do UK inheritance taxes apply to the estate?
The estate of a foreign national is liable to UK Inheritance Tax to the extent that the assets are UK based. So, the UK property is already part of your UK estate and will remain so for seven years after you give it away. If you die before the seven years are up, the value of the gift will form part of your UK estate for IHT purposes. Tapering applies after 3 years as you can read here:
If you live for at least seven years after the gift, then the property will have left your UK estate.
The gift is also a disposal for UK CGT purposes. From 6 April 2015, non-UK residents may be liable to CGT in the UK on gains made on the disposal of UK residential property. You can read about that here:
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Tony. Your reply was very helpful and clear. Best Wishes.
Thanks and good luck to you.