How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4971
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I build a house, which in all ways meets the conditions,

This answer was rated:

If I build a house, which in all ways meets the conditions, on pilons over an existing building, but not touching it in any way, can the construction be zero rated. I cant find anything in vat notice which says either way.
The construction of a building for human habitation is a zero rated supply, although a conversion is a reduced rate supply (5%). Here is the relevant Gov UK link: If you are the builder actually undertaking the work then you charge the appropriate rate of VAT. If you are an owner having the work done for you then you may have to advise the builder of the position. I do hope my reply has been of assistance. .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This doesn't really help, it is a new build over an existing property, no connections at all. I am the property owner. I believe it should be zero rated however..............
You are probably correct. It was the 'on pilons over an existing building' which lead me down the conversion path. You have to warn off your builder though so that they do realise the VAT implications. Even the Gov UK web site emphasizes this requirement.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.