How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Ireceived a tax demand last week spoke to them they were very

This answer was rated:

Ireceived a tax demand last week spoke to them they were very unhelpful please can you advise me I am 72 years old because my firm went bust I lost the pension I had been paying into since I was 17 I have another small private pension 187 per month and another from the company I went to after firm folded 1des when I owed money 89 per month then FSA contacted me and pay me 300 permonth this with the little work I do on dock for the last firm and my state pension keeps our heads above water I thought everything was OK we paid tax every month on all monies nobody told us any different then this letter saying the had reviewed our tax payments and for years 13/14 and 14/15 we owe 800and odd tax why was I not informed prior to now over tax that is owing from 2years ago and why did they send out the tax codes that were obviously wrong
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The probable difficulty here is your State Pension (SP) which is taxable, but paid gross. The normal procedure id for HMRC to issue you a tax code against the larger pension, but reduce it from the normal personal allowance to collect the tax due on the SP. This should make you tax neutral at the year end. If these tax codes are incorrect then you may end up owing tax. It is normal for HMRC to issue a statement at the end of each tax year telling you your position, but you may have seen from the media that they are becoming exceedingly sloppy in their systems. What you should do now is check HMRC's computations and if they have just sent you a letter telling you baldly that you owe from prior years without explanation then demand their supporting figures. These may well be wrong and can be the subject of appeal which you make by merely writing a letter. HMRC send out literally thousands of in correct tax codes each year. My initial code has been wrong these twenty years and you could have knocked me down with a feather when this year they got it right, well nearly! You must check any tax code issued on notification and ask for it to be amended if it is incorrect. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.