How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5147
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My income comprises State pension - £668.80 per month Gross

This answer was rated:

My income comprises State pension - £668.80 per month Gross
Final salary pension - £2758.46 per month Gross
Annuity pension - £287.77 per month Gross
Which equates to a total monthly net income of £3034.19 of which I pay £1200 / month in maintenance to my ex wife.
Is there any way of reducing my tax burden.
Regards ***** *****
Thank you for your question.When one is in receipt of income that is taxed/taxable at source (all types of pensions and salary) the only way to reduce tax burden is to make contribution into a pension fund. Having said that, pension contributions against earnings are most tax efficient but in your case there is no earned income as pension income is not deemed earned income for this purpose.If you don't have any earnings (e.g. you don't work) you can make a gross contribution of up to £3,600 each year into a pension fund (equivalent to £2,880 net).Maintenance costs don't attract any tax relief, I'm afraid.I am sorry I may not have given the news you were expecting. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes.