How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17657
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

If a P800 has been issued in relation to my deceased father

This answer was rated:

If a P800 has been issued in relation to my deceased father - a small amount of money was owed to him - is this his tax position finalised or are there further forms to submit?
My solicitor seems to think an R27 is needed but apparently they were replaced by the P800 in October 2014 which kind of leaves me scratching my head.
Hence they have collated information from his works pension, DWP and banks / building societies, i.e. anywhere he may have had income from which they will put out to an accountant to apparently finalise his tax position.
Is this necessary in light of the issuing of the P800?
HelloThe R27 was replaced. The executor or PR must check the P800 tax calculation against your father's records. You usually don’t need to do anything if you agree with the P800. The R27 is not used anymore.If a refund is due HMRC will issue that but if there is no problem with the calculations on the P800 there is no reason to contact HMRC as his tax is finale.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you TaxRobin for your timeous response. What has thrown me (this is a Northern Ireland scenario if that makes any difference) is my solicitor's apparent lack of knowledge about the P800 replacing the R27.Despite being informed of my receipt of the P800 (which I forwarded to them) they still wrote off to HMRC to request the relevant forms in relation to my father's final tax year (he died 23.06.15) and the administration period.n.b. Probate was obtained in early September and the monies from one account which was frozen have been released and paid to my mother. So to my mind the estate has been dealt with.I am just wondering if the solicitor is making unnecessary work for himself or for the accountant he intends sending the paperwork to. I last contacted the solicitor about 2 weeks ago and at that stage they had heard nothing back from HMRC. (I appreciate they are busy.)On hearing this I took the liberty of phoning HMRC to be told by them that as far as they were concerned his final tax position had been agreed and that they were not looking for further forms or returns. (My father had a works pension, was in receipt of the state pension and any savings he had would have been taxed at source.)Do you have any advice on how to approach the solicitor again about this? I presume you concur that there are no further forms or returns to be made in relation to my father?
I do not see where any further forms for tax are required. If there were a discrepancy in the income and what was reported on the P800 then most certainly steps for contacting HMRC would need to be taken.As far as the solicitor, if HMRC tells them no further action is required what action would they possibly be wanting to take? If the solicitor was wanting to correct an item their time would be passed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what you are saying is that this 'notion' of collating and forwarding information to an accountant - to quote them - from - 'various companies from whom your father would have received a source of income over the requested periods' - by that I presume they mean his final tax year and the administration period - is superfluous ??? and that the solicitor is creating work for himself for which I will have to pay for no real reason at all ??
No, I would not go so far as to say "all" that.I am saying that I would have to ask them "pointedly" what they are hoping to accomplish and why they believe these steps need to be taken.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get your drift - but just to conclude - as far as you are concerned - to your mind - this work is not necessary ??
Based on information provided, I cannot see where any further actions need to be taken for tax purposes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you once again TaxRobin for your help and professionalism - I just wanted to hear from an expert what I suspected myself.David.
You are most welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I take it there is often confusion among solicitors in relation to the tax affairs of deceased persons or is my situation a one off ???
There are always specific issues and then of course when rules or procedures are changed it can be confusing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again.