How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4800
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was born in the USA, but have lived in the UK since

This answer was rated:

Hello, I was born in the USA, but have lived in the UK since I was 9. I have a Social Security Number and have paid taxes here since starting work till retirement two years ago. My bank has just sent me a form to complete (W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) for the US IRS. I do not have a TIN - do I need one with the US authorities and do I need also to file tax returns there? I haven't done so to date.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You do not need to file tax returns with IRS as you have not been resident in the States for over 50 years. The IRS have, of late, been following up people who they think may be liable to US taxation. A couple of years ago with visits to the USA I came under their radar and received a very polite telephone inquiry from one of their agents. I told him my income came from UK Government Pensions and that I paid my taxes in the UK. He apologised and told me that I would not be troubled again. Accordingly, my advice to you is to write to the IRS office which issued the form and explain your position and I am sure that this matter will die a death. You only need file returns with HMRC if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source. If, of course, HMRC require you to self assess then you must comply. The majority of UK taxpayers never have to self assess anyway. By Social Security number I assume you mean your National Insurance number. Just to confuse the issue you will also have a NHS number which is different! Mine was endorsed on my birth certificate issued in 1943, five years before the Service actually started and continued until all the old numbers were changed to all numeric in the early 90s. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Most helpful! The issuers of the form are Lloyds Bank. But do you think I should write to the US IRS? They have recently closed their office in the Embassy here but I could write to them in the US. Yes, you are quite right, I did mean National Insurance number. Apologies. In terms of the UK tax, I have just received a note from them to say I do not need to self assess for the coming financial year. Now exempt.
That's exactly what happened to me a couple of years ago, I don't have to self assess either!
I would advise you to write to the IRS in the States. It will almost certainly stop what might just become an annual pain!
Thank you for your support.
And your most generous bonus.
I am so sorry, I have given you misleading information. Here is the advice of the IRS:
'If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.'
However, under the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the USA, and indeed some individual States as well, any tax paid in one country is allowable as a tax credit against any liability in the other on the same income stream. As the US tax system has many more allowable outgoings which can offset tax it is highly likely that with your tax credits you would have nothing outstanding for the IRS.
I suspect that when you write to the IRS the result will be the same and they will tell you not to bother with this exercise in financial futility.