How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

TAX and working outside of the UK. This year I canged my job

This answer was rated:

TAX and working outside of the UK. This year I canged my job from the UK to work in dubai starting on 01st August 2015. Dubai salary is being paid tax free, however - do I still need to pay UK tax on the earnings in Dubai? this will be a 3 year contract,
I have a house in UK and it is idle and will be for 3 years. My family are with me in Dubai and I have a rented villa. Can you please advise how the rulrs would work?
Hi. You can read the full details of the statutory residence test here and find a more easily followed summary here. Complete a P85 to tell HMRC you have moved abroad. The bare minimum you have to achieve to maintain your non-UK tax residency status is to spend at least one full tax year as such. Given that you left the UK on 1 August 2015, that means you cannot return to live in the UK until 6 April 2017 at the earliest. You should look to spend no more than 90 days in the UK in a full tax year. The number of days that you can spend in the UK between 1 August 2015 and 5 April 2016 will be reduced as the part of the tax year that you will be overseas will be less than a full tax year. See page 53 of RDR3 here. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
If you maintain your non-Uk residency status as described above, you should pay no UK tax on your Dubai earnings.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you