How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have established a Community Interest Company (CIC) which

This answer was rated:

I have established a Community Interest Company (CIC) which will run an ofsted registered tuition centre.
My understanding is one of the largest UK tuition centre providers (over 100 centres) considers itself providing childcare due to its ofsted registration so its membership fees are VAT exempt.
I have seen other tuition centres indicate they charge VAT on their fees.
How do I get to an answer on the correct approach ?
Hello Fernando, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is covered by VAT Notice 701/30. You will find the Notice here: Your problem is whether your organization counts as an 'eligible body.' If it does then its activities may be exempt from VAT. If not then your supplies would be standard rated. The position is extremely complex and a thorough reading of the Notice is recommended. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.