How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4947
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was declared bankrupt on 29/05/15 with debts of around

This answer was rated:

I was declared bankrupt on 29/05/15 with debts of around £150,000.00.
I included a sum of £60,000 in the bankruptcy for HMRC as I was aware they were looking into my previous 10 years earnings but had never issued a demand/assessment.
I have had no contact with the Official Receiver but my name was posted to the Government website with a release date from bankruptcy of 29/05/16.
I have now received Penalty Notices from HMRC demanding penalties of approx £70,000 be paid by 11th December 2015. I am confused as the tax inspector has been in touch with the receiver so is aware I have no funds or assets to pay by 11th December 2015.
Is this just HMRC tidying up their paperwork by issuing the Notices knowing full well I cannot pay ?
I look forward to earring from you.
Kind regards,
Grant Cooper
Hello Grant, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is typical of a HMRC try on. Just write to the office concerned and remind them that you are an undischarged bankrupt and any correspondence should be directed to your Trustee in Bankruptcy who may, of course, be the Official Receiver. HMRC are on a hiding to nothing. Bankruptcy clears the slate, that's what it is all about. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


thank you for your prompt response.

Good advice, I will write to HMRC today.

Thank you.


Just keep it simple, just tell them you are bankrupt. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.