How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4954
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am seperated from my wife who is 72 and a pensioner I

This answer was rated:

Hi I am seperated from my wife who is 72 and a pensioner I bought her a house in cornwall which is condemed because of subsidence. To fix the susidence the underpining will cost
£17,870 plus vat. when I contact them I was informed that one job they went to the owner or builder had a certificate from hmrc for 5% vat.
could you please let me know what rate I have to pay? the terrace house is in a conservation area if that makes any differance.
Thank you for your time
Regards ***** *****
Hello David, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Just Answer is an independent tax advice site and not connected in any way with HMRC. Firstly, is you wife disabled? Secondly is the house currently empty? If it is empty then renovation is subject to VAT at the reduced rate (5%). In such cases there is no requirement for a certificate, the builder merely has to be notified that the reduced rate applies, that is normal practice. The Gov UK advice 'VAT for builders' is perfectly clear and can be read here: Otherwise the work would be standard rated ie 20%. The rules for zero rated supplies for disabled people might not apply as the work is not one of the type listed in the Notice. I do hope that my answer has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.