How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

There, I'm a New Zealand citizen and have lived and worked

Customer Question

Hi There,
I'm a New Zealand citizen and have lived and worked in the UK in the last year. I've now left the UK and am working in West Africa. I'm still employed by the same company but am not working in the UK. So do I still have to pay tax to the UK?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The company is UK company.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mark, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. When you left the UK did you complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not then do so immediately, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will class you as non resident for the tax year after your leaving date and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident the other non resident. It provides for the refund of ant overpaid tax at the date of your departure. As non resident you will not have to pay UK tax and HMRC should adjust your tax code to that effect for your employer's payroll. If that doesn't happen you can always claim the tax deducted at the end of the tax year. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.