How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I need to complete my hmrc tax return -15. I was resident

Customer Question

I need to complete my hmrc tax return for 2014-15. I was resident in Saudi Arabia for that year. Do I need to report my "ex-Pat" earnings in Saudi on my SA102 form please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me exactly when you left the UK please. When do you intend to return to the UK to live? Did you complete a P85 when you left the UK? Do you work for a UK employer or a non-UK employer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tony, I left UK in October 2013. Yes - I completed a P85. I returned to the UK on 20 September 2015. Whilst in Saudi I worked for a non-UK Employer (i.e. IBM in Saudi)
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi again You should refer to the Statutory Residence Test notes here and a brief synopsis of the rules here. You completed at least one full tax year abroad so provided you did not spend more than 90 days in the UK in the 2014/15 tax year and you worked sufficient hours abroad, you won't be liable for UK tax on your Saudi earnings. Many people don't disclose the foreign earnings in their UK tax return but that's not strictly correct. Complete the employment pages SA102, box 12 on page Ai2 of the SA101 pages and the SA109 pages. You don't need to complete the domicile section at the bottom of page RR2 or page RR3 unless you are not a UK national. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.