How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I retired at 60 and have a pension from my time as a full time

Customer Question

I retired at 60 and have a pension from my time as a full time academic. I then re-engaged with the University of Glasgow on a 20% contract. I live on the Isle of Skye and in order to fulfill my contract at Glasgow University I have a flat which I use when I am in Glasgow. I have used the flat previously and before that paid hotel expenses when I was in Glasgow for work purposes but I have never claimed any of these as costs when submitting my HMRC return. Is it permissable for me to do so. If so how much would I be able to claim and would I be able to back date any costs? Thank you.
Ronald MacDonald
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
I am afraid the cost of this accommodation is not an expense that is incurred wholly and exclusively in the performance of your duties with Glasgow University, it merely puts you in a position to carry out those duties, so none can be claimed as an expense against your income.
Plus we have the fact that you chose to come to provide services here and therefore any expenses in your day to day living is a personal expense through and through I am afraid
Sorry the news is not more favorable, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.