How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Sam, I intend to move to UK with my kids . We are not UK residents bu

This answer was rated:

Hi Sam,
I intend to move to UK with my kids for education. We are not UK residents but the kids are EU citizens. All my livings in UK would be supported by my husband who works outside UK. Should i need to pay any tax during my stay in UK with the kids for education. If yes, any deductible allowance do i entitle to and how to estimate tax amount?
As we intend to stay for long period of time, do my kids/I need to pay for National insurance and Pension? If yes, how to estimate the amount?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you stay more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year [6 April - 5 April] then you will be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. Moneys given to you by your husband do not count as income and are outside the scope of UK taxation. If you are an EEA citizen then you have a personal allowance, currently 10.6K, to offset this income. Your tax year of arrival will be on the split year principle part non resident and part resident. You will be classified as resident for the tax year following your arrival date. The basic rate of tax is 20% for income over 10.6K up to 31.788K, 40% up to 150K and 45% thereafter. Income over 100K results in your losing the personal allowance at the rate of one pound for every two pounds over. You can find the full gamut on National Insurance from the Gov UK website here: I would draw your attention to the preamble: 'You pay National Insurance contributions to qualify for certain benefits including the State Pension.You pay National Insurance if you’re:16 or overan employee earning above £155 a weekself-employed and making a profit of £5,965 or more a yearYou need a National Insurance number before you can start paying National Insurance contributions.If you earn between £112 and £155 a week, your contributions are treated as having been paid to protect your National Insurance record.' To qualify for a full UK State Pension under the new rules you need 35 years worth of contributions. Media sources say few will achieve this in their working lives. Getting a National Insurance number is ***** easy unless the person needing one is actually employed or intending employment. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith,Tks for your informaiton which is very useful to me!For tax rate, whether taxable income is charged at progressive tax rate or flat rate. For example, if annual income is 110000, first 31K is charges at 20% and the balance is charged at 40%. or alternatively, total of 110K is charged at 40%.also, just clarify on national insurance, i don't need to pay unless i work during my stay in UK. If that the case, i don't have any tax liability if i am full time mum and all the living expense are provided by husband who works outside UK. I also heard that i need to pay county tax , is that correct? if yes, what is the charges ?Even though i do not work during my stay, can i opt for voluntarliy contribution for national insurance. My concerns are health care expense during my family stay. Whether health care expense are covered by national insurace? Do u have any advices on what is the UK resident's practice in health care matter, whether it is covered by insurance policy with insurance company like BUPA?As mentioned in your email, national insurace number is ***** easy to get unless he/she actually works or intending to work.
Do u mean that i can get national insurance while i am in job seaching process? What kinds of proof are required in order to get national insurance number?If I buy the house in UK for my living purpose, what kinds of tax do i need to pay when i buy the house.Tks.
If you are entirely funded by your husband you have no UK Income Tax liability, such financing being outside the scope of UK taxation. If you work you will be taxed in the general way you set out except that the starting band is 0 - 31788. You may receive a personal allowance, currently 1.6K to offset tax. Here is the current Gov UK advice on the matter: 'Most countries allow individuals the benefit of a certain level of income before tax is charged. In a significant and growing number of countries, including most of the EU, Australia, Canada and the United States, this benefit is restricted so that it is principally available only to individuals who are resident for tax purposes. In the UK, with some exceptions , non-residents with taxable income arising from the UK currently benefit from the UK’s generous Personal Allowance.' If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year you will be deemed to be resident in the UK. You will have to pay the appropriate Council Tax relevant to the premises in which you live. You may, as a single occupant, be entitled to a 25% discount. You can opt to pay voluntary NI contributions. NHS support is very complex, but I am of the opinion that you would receive free treatment as an EEA citizen providing that a local GP is prepared to take you on to his books. On arrival in the UK the Home Office Immigration Section will send you a letter setting out your position and this may say that you have the necessary entitlement. In any event the full rules are here: The only tax that you pay on house purchase is Stamp Duty Land Tax in England and Wales or Land and Buildings Transaction Tax in Scotland [which is actually slightly less]. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith,
Sorry for my late feedback and really appreciated ur services.
for NHS, if i opt for voluntarily ni contribution, how can i proceed and how much should i need to pay?
whether NHS cover healthcare benefit, like in patient services.
Tks a lot.
NHS care covers everything excluding dental and optical care [part paid only] although there is a charge of GBP 8-05 per prescription item in England. First though, check your letter from Home Office Immigration Section which may well grant you access to the service so you just have to go and register with your local Primary Care Service. Voluntary NI would cost you GBP 14-10 per week (Class 3 contribution). You can read all bout it here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith,
Then what about my kids healthcare during their stay for education. do they cover according to the benefit stated out in letter issued by HM immigration section?
For locl primary care service, are u referring to general practitioner if they willIng to accept my case?
The start point is the letter from the Home Office Immigration Section letter. There will be one for each person arriving in the UK. If it says that the recipient is entitled to the service then you just register with a convenient GP (who provide primary care). Remember that these days GPs are very over loaded with patients and acceptance may need some shopping around. Please accept my apology for the delay in my response, I was moving base from Thailand to Scotland and had a 14+ hour layover in Abu Dubai.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you