How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I want to gift a house to my brother will we be liable for

This answer was rated:

I want to gift a house to my brother will we be liable for any tax
Hi. Let me take a look at this and I'll get back to you in a short while.
Hi again. If you gift a house to your brother, it will be both a potentially exempt transfer for Inheritance Tax purposes and a disposal for Capital Gains Tax purposes. IHT Should you die within seven years of making the gift, its value will be counted as part of your estate for IHT purposes, though any charge to IHT will taper away from three years after the gift is made. Take a look here for more information on that. CGTWhilst you won't be receiving any money for the house, the gift will be a disposal for CGT purposes as if you had sold it for its open market value so you may have CGT to pay and no cash to pay it. How much CGT you would be liable for would depend on whether the property was ever your main home or your main home and let. Take a look here for information on the main residence and CGT. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I shall read thought all the information you have send me
Thank you
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you