How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5116
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Is this real?

This answer was rated:

Hello - is this real?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi all,I have planning permission to knock down and rebuild a house. An architect is managing the project and we have contractors responding to tenders.The contractor will manage the build, and source subcontractors. I understand that the main contractor will invoice us at zero rate VAT for services and materials and they will arrange the "proof" of this between themselves and HMRC. We will just get a zero rate invoice to pay and no requirement on us to work with HMRC.However, my wife's father is in a privileged position at a large builders merchant. He can source all materials for us at cost, but the invoice will be in his name and we will have to pay him to clear it.So the question is, how can we qualify for zero rate VAT on a new build, when the materials are purchased from a senior employee of a builders merchant? The self-build zero rate claim form says that the invoice must be in my name?Many thanks
Thank you for your question..WE are not related to HMRC in any form.How can I help you? Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago. - section D states the invoice must be in my name... but it won't be...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also bottom of section 23 (just above 24..) says "If any of the invoices have not been made out in your
name, explain why in the box provided below". Would they accept my reasoning if I said "I purchased from my father in law who works at a builder's merchant.."?
Thank you for your reply. My advice to you is to write to the VAT Office and explain clearly that you are using your father-in-law company to source the material and that in order to avail staff discount the invoice would be in his name. You need confirmation from them that this would be acceptable and that the use of other name is ***** ***** discount only. You should check with your father-in-law and request that it is clearly stated on the invoice where the goods are being delivered. I have looked at the form and the notes... it does say on the form "The invoices should be in your name. If they are not in your name, you must explain why."You should attach the confirmation letter from VAT Office with your form. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will give that a go. Much appreciated :)
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes.