How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Is there a facility on line you had lived in a property

This answer was rated:

Is there a facility on line for saying you had lived in a property for 18months before you rented out, when now you have sold the property in this tax year.
Hi. You need to work out the main residence relief and letting relief and put the sum of the two in box 37 on page CG2 of the SA108 pages. See page CGN3 of the SA108 notes here. As the property was both your main home and let, you also put LET in box 35 on page CG2 of the SA108 pages. There should be a working sheet in the HMRC online tax return for you to use which will be converted into a PDF and submitted with the tax return to give HMRC all the information about the property disposal they need. You might also refer to Example 9 in HS283 here for guidance in calculating the gain. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any furrther questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you