How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14165
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

We are in our early seventies. We have a metally & physically

Customer Question

We are in our early seventies. We have a metally & physically severly handicapped son age 41. He lives in a Council funded care home and receives HMG diability grants. He has a small sum of money--the accummulation of gifts over the years-- and he is a Beneficiary under our Wills. We want to ensure that on our deaths (or if our health fails) his interests are safeguarded. What could/should we do now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question- I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
The main concern would be anything that would see your son having in excess of £16,000 will have an impact on his entitlements - which could affect his housing and any employment support or income support benefit he is paid
The disability grants may be safe, but perhaps you could advise
1) Exactly what benefits/grants he is paid
2) Whether he pays full rent for the council funded care home - or whether this is paid for him
3) How much you and your wifes estates are worth (perhaps you could advise each of your shares as one would assume you will not pass together)