How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7520
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

There. I have a situation where a USA company wished

Customer Question

Hello there. I have a situation where a USA company wished to employ two staff in the UK. It odes not wish to set up a UK branch or a UK entity, but would run a UK payroll and calculate and remit PAYE / NI etc. Can this be done, and an employers reference
be obtained, without formalising an entity in the UK?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Having had a look through various authorities it appears that an overseas employer can register for PAYE for the purpose of running payroll and collecting tax and NI. The basic guidance can be found here: You should make it clear to HMRC that your company's presence in the UK is simply to pay employed UK staff and arrange the appropriate deductions. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.