How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4807
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I know someone who is funding young people in IT development

Customer Question

I know someone who is funding young people in IT development he has lost money is this a capital loss. Also would it be better to do this through a limited company
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is not a capital loss, but it could be a trading loss. If so it can be set against other income in the same tax year or carried forward whichever he prefers. However, it could be held that this is not a business activity at all and his funding of young people merely a gift so it would be outside taxation altogether. If it was undertaken through a limited company the effect of the loss and the remedy is identical. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.