How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5143
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am retired in Ireland and get a non contributory state pension

This answer was rated:

I am retired in Ireland and get a non contributory state pension from Britain. Do I have to pay tax on it?
Thank you for your question..State pension is taxable in the country of origin, i.e UK state pension is chargeable to UK tax.You don't usually pay UK tax on your UK state pension if you live abroad and are no UK resident for tax purposes. You may have to pay tax on this pension in Ireland.More information on this can be found here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My pension is paid into my bank account. How do I know if the tax has been deducted?
Thank you for your reply.
If you are receiving state pension into your bank account, you can be assured that the amount you are receiving is gross as state pension is paid gross, albeit it is taxable income.
Normally, HMRC will adjust your tax code to reflect this income.
I hope this is helpful and answers your question. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes.