How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4770
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My son is employed by local government and pays his taxes.

Customer Question

My son is employed by local government and pays his taxes. Since May he has played in a Ceilidh band about 6 times to cover someone else and he has earned about £500 and wants to pay the 20% required for Self-Employment as he has been told he is responsible to declare these earnings. He has Invoiced the Band leader after each payment. My 2 questions are 1) does he go on-line for Self Assessment and 2) can he claim for expenses. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. It is quite correct that he has to declare his earnings which he does in his self assessment tax return at the conclusion of the tax year in which these moneys were received. Any wholly and necessarily expenses paid from these takings are deductible. If he has not self assessed for the relevant years he will have to go on line for a 14/15 tax year. Otherwise he could advise hMRC of his self employment and they will arrange for a return to be forwarded to him at the end of each tax year. However, if this is a 'one off' as the tenor of your question seems to indicate, the a quick and simple solution is for him to write to his tax office explaining the situation and they may well just give him a paying in slip for the relevant amount of tax without the palaver of a complete return. I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on the situation.