How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4782
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am British employed by a company in singapore I am resident

This answer was rated:

hi I am British employed by a company in singapore I am resident in singapore and am paid wholly in singapore. i spent no days in UK in tax years 2013-2014. or 2014-2015 . |In tax year 2012-1013 I was under UK tax. In tax year 2015-2016 i will spend 30 days split into 4 periods for personal reasons and not working - 15 days (midnights) in July ; 2 days (midnights) in October ; 5 days (midnights) in Dec and 8 days (midnights) in Jan 2016. Does this give me any exposure to being taxed by HMRC
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Firstly, when you left the UK for Singapore did you submit a Form P85 to HMRC? If you did not then you should do so immediately. Fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will make you non resident for the tax year after your date of departure and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. Once classified as non resident you can return to the UK for up to 91 days in any one tax year without losing that status. In theory the 91 days can be averaged over four tax years, but the general consensus of experts on Just Answer is never to exceed the magic 91 days in any tax year. From the tenor of your question you have not or will not breached the 91 day rule so for tax purposes remain non resident in the UK. However, any interest earned in the UK from deposits and any property income ie if you have rented out your house is subject to UK Income Tax, but, of course, your do have your personal allowance, currently 10.6K, to offset this. Please don't forget the P85. You will find dealing with HMRC, if you have to much easier, if you use this procedure. I do hope that I have set your mind at rest on this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.
I should have mentioned that the UK and Singapore have a Double taxation Treaty which precludes the same income stream from being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a credit against any liability in the other.