How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

If I transfer £50,000 per annum from my UK bank

This answer was rated:

If I transfer for example £50,000 per annum from my UK bank current account to my bank account in Thailand (where I am resident for ten months per year), what would be be my UK tax liability? My income is under the tax threshold in the UK and I pay no tax in Thailand.
Hi. You won't incur any UK tax liabilities if you transfer any sum of money from the UK to another country. You pay Income Tax on income and Capital Gains Tax on gains, not on transfers of capital abroad. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply. If the £50,000 is transferred to my UK account from my mothers UK account before being transferred to Thailand, how does this affect her tax liability as far as gifts and IHT are concerned? Many thanks.
If it is a gift, then so long as your mother lives for seven years after making it, its value will not form part of her estate for IHT purposes. After three years, any potential IHT liability begins to taper away as you will see here. If there is an IHT liability, it will normally be settled from the deceased estate assets.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you